Nehanda - Rites of Passage
October 2016: This program is currently active. If interested, please inquire.
The Mission of the Nehanda Rites of Passage Program is to reaffirm the power of SISTERHOOD and promote positive alternatives to African-American females through a safe, educational and fun-filled environment. This program is geared towards females from the ages of 11-14, who are preparing to make the transformation from childhood to young womanhood.
The goal of the Nehanda Rites of Passage Program is to assist girls in learning to relate to others with understanding and tolerance, making sound decisions and instilling morals and values into their lives. This rites of passage program will create a platform that encourages creativity, integrity, self-esteem and individual expression.
The Nehanda ("the beautiful one has arrived") Rites of Passage Program will strive to prepare today's young women to make a difference in their communities and families and to instill that they are sacred, respected individuals in society and to discover their own unique beauty inside as well as outside. The 10-month program will employ spiritual, cultural and educational means to assist young women in developing mind, body and spirit by the means of monthly assignments, workshops, presentations and trips.
Topics of discussion will include: relating to peer pressure, cultural diversity, spiritual diversity, spirituality, self-esteem, abstinence, drug abuse, career choices, health and wellness, meditation and much more. Monthly assignments are reinforced with workshops, entertaining and educational field trips, community service projects, creative writing, poetry writing, keeping a journal, selective reading and retreats.
All workshops and classes are provided by qualified individuals with a commitment to positively guide today's youth into young womanhood.
"It Takes A Village to Raise a Child."
- Develop an understanding of the Nguzo Saba value system
- Develop an understanding of African and African-American history and culture
- Develop an understanding of the concept of leadership, community service and pride
- Develop an understanding of spirituality and physical well being
- Develop an understanding of time management and organizational skills
- Develop an appreciation of the performing arts, i.e. dance, music and drama
- Developing an understanding of financial management