Umoja Dance Studio is a non profit organization dedicated to the performing arts for people of all ages.
Umoja provides quality training in dance and fitness. Respect, discipline and creativity are fostered through dynamic teaching styles designed to reach participants of all levels.
The studio embodies the proverb “It takes a village to raise a child”
This is a consolidated outline of the School's Calendar of Events & Procedures. Notices will be distributed with any changes, as well as posted on our Bulletin Board.
Your pursuit of the arts should be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. To achieve this end, it is necessary to establish rules of conduct which everyone, staff and student, parents, family members and friends must willingly adhere to. Proper decorum must be maintained at all times both in the studio and at all studio related activities. Failure to do so could result in student dismissal, relieving the studio of any obligations or liabilities.
- All students are expected to come to class and studio events REGULARLY and ON TIME.
- Students arriving more than 15 minutes late for class may be refused attendance on that day.
- Students are not allowed to leave classes early without prior permission from the instructor.
- Absence from class hampers the student's progress and the class progress. If a student is going to miss a class, we ask that you notify the studio by calling in advance of the class time.
- Please drop off and pick up your child on time. Please call the studio or the teacher if you are running late.
- Parents /family members are not allowed to watch class. Our reception area is small and the students are not able to fully focus and engage in class if parents/siblings are watching. Exceptions are made for young students for specific classes. Please speak with the teacher for approval.
- Cell Phones are not allowed in class. Phones can be used before and after class ONLY.
If the teacher is unable to teach class and a sub cannot be provided then class will be canceled. Please review the studio calendar for holiday closing. Emergency cancellations are sent out via Email, Website, Cell (group text), Facebook, and Message on studio voicemail.
- Creative Movement: Leotard any color, leggings
- Ballet/Modern: Black Leotard, Pink or Black tights or Black leggings, Unitard, Pink Ballet shoes
- Hip- Hop/Jazz: Loose fitting clothes, sneakers, Black jazz shoes/sneakers
- African Dance: Leotard any color, lappa, bike short or leggings under lappa ,bare feet
- Lappa (wrapped skirt) Students can bring their own or purchase one from the studio for $12.00
- Capoeira: Uniforms available for purchase.
- Acro: Leotard any color and black leggings
- Boys: White T- Shirt, black sweat pants
- In order for dance classes and performances to be safe and enjoyable, students must be in good health. If, in our judgment, a student is not in good health and shows evidence that continued participation in our program may pose a risk to that student or other students, we reserve the right to suspend the student from further participation in the program pending receipt of written clearance from a physician who has examined the student.
- Please notify us if any medical conditions.
Student Dismissal & Parking Regulations
- No student shall be allowed to leave the premises at dismissal time unaccompanied by a designated adult unless a parent completes signs and submits the studio’s Dismissal Permission Form. Forms can be obtained from the studio by request.
- NO Parking in the front of the studio. Please park in designated spaces.
Class Reschedule Policy
- Due to inclement weather some classes may be rescheduled.
- You will be notified or you can call the studio for a recorded message.
Communication / Social Media
- Please make sure the studio has your current cell number and email address. It is your responsibility to inform the studio of any changes. Information is distributed via Email, website, Cell(group text), Facebook, Message on studio voicemail
- Please stay in touch with us via social media:
- Tuition is due the 1st class of the month. Please plan accordingly.
- Please be prepared to pay a $ 10.00 late fee if you pay the 2nd class of the month.
- All payments are non-refundable, non-transferable and no extensions granted.
- Non-refundable Registration Fee : $10.00 New Students / $5.00 Returning Student
- (2) types of payment plans : monthly or full year (Oct-June)
- The studio accepts payment by cash, credit or debit. NO CHECKS
- Outstanding balances could result in removal or dismissal from class.
Respect the Space
- Food/drink is not permitted in the studio or waiting room with the exception of a water bottle.
- Please inform the receptionist or teacher if the bathroom needs soap, toilet paper or paper towels.
"Start where you are, use what you have and do what you can"